Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 27, 2016

APP REVIEW: Whats the Pic Artic?

Well hey there fellow SLPs! I wanted to show you this awesome app from Luke over at Home Speech Home. If you're anything like me, you LOVE and I mean LOVE a quick and engaging therapy activity. Well, look no further. This app is alllll that and more!


Here are some random thoughts regarding this app:

Tablet. I would recommend using it on an iPad or larger tablet. While having it on a smartphone is handy for quick and easy practice, the pictures were fairly small for early learners and some of my students with visual impairments.



Microphone. Thats right, this app utilizes the microphone on your device as the student practice. Make sure you have microphone access to fully utilize this app. The voice recognition aspect is so cool! It is a little finicky, in that you have to say the word slowly, which isn't ideal for drill-type of practice but is perfect for sound practice! I have quite a few students who need to reduce their rate of speech, this was helpful.

Variety. This app has a variety of sounds (25 to be exact) in all word positions. I mean, even the ZH sound (as in measure)Um, yes please! Also, the number of trials per word vary from 1-5, which reduces the monotony of repeating words multiple times. I do wish there was an option to target a specific sound in all position of words, instead of one position at a time.

Wifi. The images need to be downloaded for the specific sounds. Make sure you are connected to wifi if you are using your personal device!

Feedback. There are multiple aspects of feedback with this app. First, visual feedback of the red/green circle around the student's picture was highly motivating for my students. They wanted to play again so that their circle could be "so green"! Next, the visual feedback of the bubbles slowly disappearing as they practice their sounds. Also, the feedback when you correctly guess the word!


Language. This is also helpful for targeting some language goals; specifically inferring. I used this app in a group of both articulation and language kiddos and had the students with inferencing goals guess the picture as the bubbles start to disappear. This was challenging for some of my early learners, in fact I even had a difficult time answering this one. I used a hint! Which is another impressive feature of this app.

Exhibit A. Initially, I guessed student for this picture. Then I used the hint feature and it became a game of hang-man. The hint was " _ _ _" Which then I guessed "ask" and it was correct. Please tell me you would've had trouble with that one too!?


 Here is the report view of the app:



 Email. This might be one of my favorite aspects of this app. You can view and email a report of the students progress! This is great to send to parents to show how their child is progressing in therapy. I have also had some parents ask about this app to buy it for their kids for extra practice.
Here is the email view of the app!



Overall, this app is a thumbs up in my book. Trust me, go get this app, save this app into your "favorites" folder and use it every day. Do it. Your students (and parents!) will thank you.








No comments:

Post a Comment